Monday, October 8, 2012

Halloween Chevron Quilt Tutorial


There she is!
Pin ItI absolutely LOVE how this quilt turned out!
And not to toot my horn or anything....but I did the whole thing myself.  Even the quilting. Yup.
 **toot toot!

Would you like to make one of your very own?

I know you are thinking it looks hard.  Not to worry, it was super easy.  Just scroll down and take a look at the tutorial pictures and see for yourself!


Here we go!

You will need (19) 1/4 yard cuts. Not fat quarters, quarter yards. 
You can use less that 19 prints if you want to repeat a few. 

Then you will cut (2) 3"x44" strips from each of your 1/4 yards.
So you will have to 2 strips of each print. 38 strips all together. 

I next laid my strips on top of each other, in the order that I wanted the quilt. 

Start at the top of the quilt and lay out the first 4 strips, here it is the 2 green and the 2 white spider web strips.
(You won't actually need that top green strip)
Take 1 green strip, and on White Spider web strip and sew them right sides together, lengthwise.

And then press the seam towards the darker print, so the green one in this case.


Next you are going to cut 5.5" squares out of your strip.


You should get 7 squares from 1 strip.

Sorry for the horrible pictures, they are from my phone!
Lay your squares at the top of the quilt like this.

 Now, take the other white spider web strip, and then one of the next strip down, and do the same thing.

Are you starting to see a pattern here?


Now, all you need to do is turn those squares to start forming your chevron design.


Now just repeat that pattern.
Take the other orange strip, and then 1 of the black strips and sew, cut and place.


After those first two rows, it is pretty easy to see where the next rows fit in. 


Repeat all these steps until you sewn every row.


Now you can start pieces your squares together.
Start in 1 corner of the quilt, and start sewing the rows diagonally together, to make diagonal strips.


Once you have all your diagonal rows formed, start joining them on the diagonal. 

1/2 way there!

Once you have the whole quilt put together, just trim off all the jagged edges. 

Then quilt, bind and your done!
Like I mentioned before, I quilted this one myself.  Just straight lines, but I was still pretty proud of myself.

Pin ItI love it. Now I just need to figure out where I want to put it!

Can you just image how cute this pattern would be with red and white fabric for Christmas!
Ooooh, I am drooling already!

I know we haven't even hit Halloween yet, but now is the best time to get started on all those Christmas projects and handmade gifts!  Christmas will be here before we know it!

I am getting started on my Christmas quilt.....and I am SEW EXCITED!

Happy Sewing!

42 comments:

Sandy said...

This is gorgeous! Thanks so much for sharing how to make it, this may be one I have to try!

Alexis @ we like to learn as we go said...

Wow this is beautiful! Great colors for Halloween. And I love your fireplace too. I have a link party starting tonight at 8pm that runs through Monday night. I would love to see you there!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anita said...

LOVE this and am planning to make it with different fabric!

Just found your blog through Diary of a Quilter...thank you for a lovely giveaway over there and for taking the time to put this tutorial together. =)

Lisa in Port Hope said...

This is a super technique for chevrons! Thanks for sharing.

Schlesinger Family said...

This quilt is amazing! I was wondering what the finished size is, I want to make this for a baby gift. Thanks for the great tutorial :)

jmniffer said...

Fun quilt. Thanks for taking the time to share the tutorial. I was wondering what the finished size was for this. I was thinking of doing this with jelly roll strips and just adding extra to make up for the strip size difference. Thanks again

angie said...

Hi Ladies! The finished quilt is 45"x58". Happy Sewing!

carolann said...

Love this! I am going to make it in Christmas fabrics. Thank you very much!

Unknown said...

I love this quilt! But I am curious what you did for the back of it, and how you did the binding :)

Kathleen O'Grady said...

I love , love, love this quilt. The design is simple but it is awesome and striking. Thank you so much for the tutorial, I will be making one or two, maybe three.... :)

cass said...

It's absolutely gorgeous, and i love the Halloween colours

Alicia said...

What a gorgeous, fun quilt! Thank you so much for posting your tutorial. I can't wait to get started on one of my own.

Alicia @ littlesprinklesoffun said...

This is awesome! I LOVE IT!!!
I have never made a quilt before, but would definitely LOVE to try this! Thanks so much for sharing! :)

Marsha and Tim said...

Thanks for the tutorial however there does not seem to be any mention of the seam allowance. As I am doubling this pattern and making a 90x90 quilt it appears the seam allowance is 1/4 inch. Is that correct??

angie said...

Hi Marsha! Yes, I used 1/4" seam allowance. Happy Sewing!

Sue said...

I saw this on Pinterest Friday night and went out Sunday to the fabric store to make mine! I've only done log cabin quilts before, but this was just as easy! I used "winter prints" so that I could use the quilt beyond Christmas. Thanks for the inspiration! I got the top done today and hope to start quilting it tomorrow.

Jenn Korolewski said...

I love this.... would this work with just two or three different fabrics? I wonder if i would still be able to get the same effect????

Shawn Mosch said...

LOVE IT! I am not a quilter, but I might try this same idea with paper to create this pattern on a scrapbook layout.

Shawn
Crafty Chics Blog
and
MyCutSearch.com ~ Find your Cricut images FAST!
Webmasters Earn Money Here!

WPBMOMMY1 said...

This looks so difficult to make but your tutorial is so easy to follow! I'm going to order my fabrics now! Thank you!

Jacobsmom said...

Could you list the fabric you used in this quilt?

megansthingsofinterest said...

This tutorial is absolutely adorable. I, a 14 year old, made this easily. I myself have made about ten quilts and taught my friend how to quilt with this pattern. We personalized it by adding triangles to the edges rather than trimming them. We also added 2 borders.

Greenville Coupon Clippers said...

WOW - this is PERFECT!!! I did not want to do a bunch of HSTs to do a zig zag quilt. Thank you so much for sharing this tutorial. This will be my weekend project!

Barbara Coop said...

I'm starting this today. I love your quilt. Thanks for the tutorial.

Barbara Coop said...

I'm starting this today. I love your quilt. Thanks for the tutorial.

Shar said...

Bought some beautiful Christmas fabric today, cut the strips and laid out the pattern (I have to say I hope deciding the order is the hardest part! Lol) can't wait to start sewing!! Thank You so much for sharing :)

Dee said...

I love this, i love your work...

Katie Adams said...

Thank you for this great tutorial! I love your blanket and it actually inspired me in my latest project. A Chevron Quilted Duvet Cover. I wrote about it on my blog and gave you credit for the tutorial. I would love for you to stop by and check it out. Grab a feature button as well if you would like. Thanks again! http://www.thecraftyblogstalker.com/2013/02/diy-quilted-chevron-duvet-cover_21.html

Melissa Medina said...

I've been looking for an easy chevron quilt, so I'm really excited to start this! I'm going to use Joel Dewberry Aviary 2 fabrics, I think it will be stunning! Thanks for the pattern :)

bhawan kumar said...

Online Earning opportunities to make money online from home, Internet Online Business want to make money easy now.
www.jobzcorner.com

juli said...

How much fabric will I need for backing and binding?
Thanks for sharing such a cute quilt. I have been searching for a doable chevron quilt and this one looks perfect.

msgutie said...

Thank you!! I am a watch n learn person! So making my chevron quilt now! This was so simple and adorable!! Thank you for posting on Pinterest!

Amanda Ellenberger said...

Wow thank you for this pattern! I've already cut out all of the strips of fabric and I can't wait to get started. I plan on using alternating white and teal fabric with an ombre effect. I posted a link to your pattern on my blog.
http://browniesandburgers.wordpress.com/2013/06/04/happy-quilthappy-me/

Pammie said...

Made this afternoon for my new baby nephew! Used 2 inch strips for a little carrier quilt since he's a preemie! LOved IT! So Quick and Cute! Thanks for the tut!

Allissa Brown said...

I am having the hardest time with this quilt! Everything was so easy until I started laying out. I cant figure out the ends and just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Catrina MacDonald said...

I have pinned this on Pinterest, and have also linked to it on my blog. Can't wait to make this!

Meow Opre said...

I was browsing for Halloween related blogs and I came by your post. Please allow me to pin some remarkable photos in here :D Thank you so much! I’m also sharing a post of the usual activities in our country, for some of you to know what is halloween in the Philippines .
Cheers and keep up writing nice posts !

saphre1964 said...

I did it!,,, thanks so much for tutorial!

Martha said...

I am so thankful for this post! I used the nautical fabric from fat quarter shop and it turned out great!! I would love to see it in Kaffe Fasett, Amy Butler, or Joel Dewberry!

Zenia Rene said...

lovely! What's the finished size of your quilt?

tandbproducts said...

I put a link to this quilt tutorial on my blog tandbproducts.wordpress.com... I love the way it turned out. Thank you for sharing!

Kim said...

OHMYGosh, love this quilt. I am going to give it a go, using reproduction fabrics. Hope it is simple as it looks!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...